Friday, August 9, 2013
Why so Hard?? So much has changed in 12 years
The kids have adjusted so well, they were even making new friends tonight, including Caleb's new friend Yur. They are learning to greet people on the side of the street, and to return pleasantries.
Kristy has done very well, getting settled in at school, organizing the house, making friends, etc.
But for me, the past few days have been hard. Not because of the living conditions. My goodness a little sweat during the day, a little cool at night, is a long way from sweating yourself to sleep every night under a mosquito net wondering what the bats will do that night in your room. Running water, electricity, internet, wifi, a warm shower, a doublebed, being with family, and a house bigger than our apartment in Charlottesville. So "easy?" As I sit typing on this laptop connected to the internet, I am not waiting on a plane to take my emails and 2 weeks on a reply. With Kristy's school we are inundated with Mzungus (white folk in Swahili), not the only one my age for 100 miles like in Sudan. So why the gloom. I do not know.
But the first 3 days were tough. Emotionally, almost despair, thinking why I am here, what is my purpose, should I just go back home, maybe I am too soft after those 12 years, I do not know. Me, who has already been through all that, and this is so easy comparatively. I walk around this city, and it is a capital city, it just keeps going, and there are shops, restaurants, stuff everywhere. It is green, with plenty of food and water, and as I stated previously with Ugandans (see previous blog, Joel's Musings) wanting to go as Missionaries themselves, and I wonder??
Today was better, hanging out with the kids, adjusting to the time, talking with Mr. Godfrey, and the Godly people we have already met. He knows, He brought all of us for a purpose, and some times a frame of reference is harder than none at all. I remember the Journeyman who went to Europe having the hardest time because it was home but not, and my self having reverse culture shock (upon re-entry in the states), than culture shock every was. I knew that this would be like having a baby again, horrible first week, tough first month, and then you hit your stride and before you know it 6 months are in.
As I remember "this too shall pass" I remember that God is never done stretching us, growing us, and changing us to be more like HIM. So adjusting to a capital city, where many already are Christians, clearly He has called, and His purposes will be made known. (Also clearly I need to go to work, and stop sitting around feeling blue!!) That will come.
Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and love!!! As Paul Harvey used to say "Good Day"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joel, I feel your sentiment of transient despair. We wonder, are we doing the right thing for my family? Is this really a call from God? Aren't there places where the need is so much greater still? But even as I read your words, I was thinking about how remarkable you and your family are, and how faithful you are being to heed the call you have received. It was really awesome getting to know you a little bit during orientation. I have been encouraged reading your blog posts from the past week, and I'm excited to see how God works through and in your family over the next two years. Peace be upon you, brother.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you arrived safely. I'll be praying for your transition. Use this time in Uganda to gain knowledge and insight on how to do medical missions well, and you can take what you learn wherever your next step is!
ReplyDelete