Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Swimming

The smell of chlorine filled the kids' bathroom today and it struck me how it was the same in Virginia, and how that smell means the same thing here.  A day at the pool means the kids are happy.  It means they eat well and go to bed early.  A day at the pool means not working, or really thinking about work. It means not stressing about life.  Not thinking too much or planning to much.  It means a day to just be.

The last 6 days have been non-stop, with travel Sunday and Monday, arriving Monday, getting to the house and an hour later heading back out to a school dinner, then back home to fall into bed.  Tuesday started work at 9am, for a full day, then Wednesday and the week- full of planning and meetings and get togethers for dinners and new friends' houses.

Then, today.  What a day.  This morning a bunch of us from the school met and headed out (with school transportation... a bus-- which is quite nice since we don't have a car... and few teacher do).  We meandered through town (at least it seems like meandering to me, because I never know where I am and all the streets look the same) to Speke, a resort with a huge pool, gated grounds, pool side service for lunch, lounge chairs and umbrellas, a fitness center and locker rooms.  It was quite the luxurious space.  The kids had a fantastic time in the pool and actually enjoyed the fish Joel ordered.  By this, of course I mean an entire fish.... head, eyes, tail.... fried.  I was proud of their willingness to try it and actually enjoy it. In contrast, (lest you think too highly of us) they had macaroni and butter for dinner.

Overall it was a great day to get to know the staff and their kids better.  It is kind of funny here, the line between teacher and friend is blurred quite a lot, as several of my students were there today and are the children of my new friends.  We'll see how that goes.

Unfortunately I left my phone at the house so I have no pictures of today, the pool, or the fish :(  I'll try harder next time.  Instead I will post the pictures of our transit, layover in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and some of our house.

This was on the bus in Ethiopia from one terminal to another.  
Their first experience of Africa was that it was cold!

In the airport in Ethiopia.  Caleb zonked out pretty quickly after he had on 
layers to keep him warm.  It was about all of the clothes we had with us in our carry-ons.

Kianna and I sleeping away the 3 hour layover

Joel and the kids sleeping during the 3 hour layover in Addis, Ethiopia

Joel and my room

Kianna's room

Caleb's room (to the left is a large built in closet.  Kianna has one as well that you can't view in the picture of her room

The kids' bathroom.  Shower and no tub
Joel and I have a bathroom as well but I didn't take a picture of it.

Dining room

Living room and a few of our totes (they're cleaned up now 
due to Joel's hard work getting the house organized.

The kitchen.  Small fridge to the right, small stove in front, sink to the far left, pantry through the door

2 comments:

  1. So amazing! I can't wait to show the kids pictures of your house! Sounds like a super sweet day- a pool is a pool! Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put a clock on our wall with your time:)

    ReplyDelete