Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Happy (er) Stories

Remember Jjunju, the little fellow who needed surgery desperately, well he was repaired and now is doing so well!!
This was what he looked like (above), almost 1 year old, and could not even crawl, because he felt so bad, and now:

And now he not only stands but walks, and look at that sweet tummy and smile!

2 weeks ago I was on call and I had heard that we were doing a VSD, but that was all I knew. When I walked in to the ICU, I saw a mature women, I was shocked. I asked how old, and was told 25. Wow, most VSDs do not live to be 25. Then she woke up and the first thing she said was "where is my baby?"  What?? You lived to be 25 with a huge VSD (1.5 by 1 CM) and you had a baby, almost 2 now. What in the world?  She did very well that night and was so excited that after finding out that she had a hole in her heart diagnosed at age 6 months, she had now, after 25 years of waiting, (and risking her life with the pregnancy) now she was repaired. Here is a picture of her.


     Last week we did something that I have never done before. In all of the patients that I have lost in the ICU, I have never gone to a funeral or visited their families afterwards. Let me explain, when I first visited Mulago in Feb 2013, I met this little guy named Edric. He had an ASD, but also had a pericardial effusion, and so he had a pericardiocentisis. I visited him every day, and got to know his parents a little. Then in Feb 2014, Edric was our first surgery for that camp. However as soon as I walked into the OR (theatre) I saw that something was wrong. His HR was 150, BP was 150/90 quite high for a 3 year old. I mentioned it, but the surgeons said "oh after an ASD, BP can be high." Then we came up to ICU and his pupils were fixed and dilated. During aortic cannulation, he had an air embolism. It was horrible! We called mom and dad in, and mom surprisingly held it together very well. But dad just lost it, saying how Edric would run to him after work, how wonderful his hugs were etc. 
    So then last week, after almost 1 year, we went to see the family. At first they were so excited to see us, and then mom just cried and cried and cried. She told the most beautiful stories about how God had worked in their lives since. For the first 2 months she just cried she said. Then a lady showed up at the house to share Revelation 21:4  "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."  After that she was able to function again. Then her husband's whole family became believers due her witness during this ordeal. Then, she became pregnant and is now 7 months pregnant!!  God has been good and healed their family!!  It was hard, she even said that she did not want to ever see me again "because the whites killed her baby, and she could not see them (me) again." But then at the end they said that when they had the new little one that they would call and would love to see us again. They thought that we had forgotten about them. But I just was not sure if they wanted to see us or not. As painful as it was, God knew to complete mine and their healing we all needed to go through this reunion. Here are 2 pics with us:
Prayer Requests:
 1. Traveling to Chaing Mai, Thailand, Feb 21-Mar 6 for CMDA conference. First time in Thailand, and can't wait for the fellowship, learning, re-certifications. Please pray for safe travel, my family, and a good conference.
  2. As soon as I get back, the same Feb team will be here, so please pray for safe surgeries, and good outcomes. 
  Thanks so much for all of the prayers, and the opportunity to touch lives here at least for another few months. God Bless, The Vanderfords




No comments:

Post a Comment