Stop Doing good things and Do them
Recently at church we have been going through Phillipians, a powerful little book and 2 passages I would like to talk about and how they are affecting (or should affect us)
Imitating Christ’s Humility
2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing, by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself, by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Do Everything Without Grumbling
12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”[c] Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. 17 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. 18 So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.
3 words come to mind here: humility, service, sacrifice
Humility- we (as Christians) are good at talking about being humble, (while usually at the same time being prideful) but Christ “valued others above yourselves.” In Africa that is a strange concept, where mainly African men, everyone wants to be the boss, and be the “Kubaka” (king). That has been the hardest thing for me here to see the potential of “my” generation, the knowledge, the wisdom, the character, and yet to see them utterly crushed by the “Bosses” who if it is not there idea it is rubbish. The concept of “you are only as strong as your team” is foreign, in spite of communalness (I do love a goo irony) Of course this happens everywhere not just here, but it is still the antithesis to Christ. As so, as Christian doctors how do we handle humbleness with being run over? A tricky balance.
Service- we are here to serve, but are we here to serve as “he made himself nothing, by taking the very nature of a servant”. I know a missionary in South Africa, an amazing man, and how did he start to gain acceptance to the tribe he works with: he picked up their garbage! WOW!! And now 27 years later, their are many many believers!! May we be humble and really serve like a servant, not only how we feel we should serve.
Sacrifice- Jesus went to the Cross, and we are willing also, but what happens if the cross is not the calling, if it is only to love all, or serve all, that feels “like a lower calling” and one we might not be so good at doing. And yes we should be working out our salvation in fear and trembling. This mornings devotions was on Heb 7:25, “since He always lives to make intercession for them.” How our salvation, though “bought” once is an active living breathing creation of Christ interceding for us daily, and how our “salvation” should not be “I prayed a prayer, now I am good” but “working things out, still striving to be worthy of the race” as Paul did. And how should we do that, “without grumbling or complaining” then “we will shine like stars in the sky”. Why, because we are good complainers, that is what we do, yet if we do not, then we “shine” stand out.
It is very challenging for me to work in such an environment as I do, and yet strive to be humble, to serve with sacrifice, so please pray for wisdom, and a diminishing of me, and an uplifting of Him, so that I may “shine” to those around me, to draw (as the star did to Christ) others to Him. Far to often, I am “leading” others away by getting frustrated, trying to fight the system and change it, and not just being.
I remember one day, and yes, I had a sick kid in the unit, but still, I am at the front gate, yelling (something you never do here) at the security people to let me pass, so I can go and take care of this kid. By focusing on why I am here “doctor”, sick kid; I completely lost sight of the witness that I am to the people at the gate, and others who see me and don’t know Him. So please pray for me!!
The other passage is in Phillipians 4:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
Why did/do I have such trouble (at the gate with the guards) because I do not follow this. “Let your gentleness be evident to all.” (ALL pretty clear there). How do we do that: “do not be anxious about anything, but in EVERY situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving (can’t be grumbling if thankful!!) present your request to God. And the peace of God will guard your hearts and minds.” Then how do we do that, we think on only the things of verse 8. I probably memorized verse 8 when I was 8-10 years old in Bible Drill, but how true it is, and how often do we not do it.
Was I anxious to get into the hospital, due to: the traffic I had just driven through, the expectations of being the only PICU doc in the country, not knowing when I would get to go home and see my family again (as no one to hand over to); yes to all of the above, BUT yet He knew, and I could have rested in Him, and given the situation to Him through prayer with thanksgiving, and then I would have been filled with peace!!
These are the “struggles” of medical missionary work, understaffed, under-equipped, overworked, and too many and too sick, but when we are able to step back “from the work we are here to do” and focus on the “real work” of the kingdom, may we pray with thanksgiving and receive the peace of God as we go about our daily work. Our patients and our staff are watching “how” we serve even more than because we serve.
Lastly, Prov 16:9 “The Heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps”. What a nice verse, but do we let God? Someone challenged me recently, with the question: “what if God called you here to fail?” To fail, what a silly idea, know you don’t understand: “I gave up xxxxx to be here to serve Him, I can’t fail.” But what if He did? What if He is guiding our steps, and the bigger way to Honor Him is for us to fail, then why not. Oddly, this was a comforting concept for me. Why? Well, because often I feel like a failure here. I have no one to train to “continue the work”, (every missionaries' dream). I struggle to make a difference in the sea of dismay. Heart camp is great, but then the very next day, there are 100 new kids who need surgery, what about them? Yet, what if God called me here if for no other reason, not to train a replacement, but to finally convince the leadership that they even need a replacement, that ICU coverage is vital. That is at least something right?! Yes there are another 100, but all in all I have already helped about 100; so may we allow this Thanksgiving season the Lord to establish our steps to Honor Him (and get the focus off of “our doing” honoring Him)!!
May we receive grace to love; thankful, peaceful hearts; and may we stop doing and start being.
Praises this Thanksgiving:
- Happy, healthy family, just a blessing to be around
- A vibrant couples Bible Study where we can really share and be prayed for
- A healthy body to be able to play and run, Sunday afternoon ultimate has been so invigorating!!
- The opportunities to serve our patients
Prayers for now till Christmas:
- Just when I thought “finally” oh no, a team from the UK coming to do some BT shunts (I have not taken care of one of those in 3 years +) Dec 12 and 13, then a cath camp from India Dec 15-18.
- Rest, real rest over the Holidays to finish out the last 6 months strong
- Continued growth in this journey, not focused on the destination, but the path
May you all have a very Merry Thanksgiving this week, we love and miss you all!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment