Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Jesus Loves Me… Even when our stuff is taken.

Earlier Sunday,  I developed this Facebook post in my head:

“Jesus loves me, this I know, for….
today I found cheddar cheese that actually tastes like cheddar and not Gouda!  So exciting because I’ve majorly been craving cheese this week!
…and, the bible tell me so.” 
What a reminder, I thought to myself, that God loves us and provides.

Not an hour later I drove up to our gate, went to unlock it, and found the lock had been cut off.  I could see from the gate that our front door was wide open, so I jumped back into the car, threw it in reverse, and started calling friends who were waiting for me by the time I got to school 3 minutes later.  Joel was on his way home from the hospital, headed straight to our house and, upon hearing this, two of our closest friends headed over to the house to meet Joel there and hopefully catch the thief.  Fortunately—(though all 3 men were all quite disappointed) the thieves were gone. 

After the initial shock—we’ve made 2 main lists.  Things we lost, and things we’re grateful we still have.

Things we lost: electronics and a little bit of cash.  The most upsetting item is a friend’s hard drive that we had been borrowing.  Behind that are our hard drives, the data on which we won’t be able to recover.  We also lost computers and some other items that are a financial loss, but can be replaced…. eventually, though not very easily and not from items purchased here.

Things we’re grateful we still have:  Health for all of us, as well as all of our other items (food, furniture, clothes, ect).  All of our official documents (passports etc) were strewn about but left.  Amazingly, they left my computer, which was sitting out, in clear sight.  I think the hot pink cover threw them and they thought it was just a folder or something.  That, and God’s grace.  I was really angry about the lost hard drives and flashdrives (well, let’s be honest, I still am…) because I thought I had deleted a lot of documents off of my computer’s drive the last time I had put them on the external hard drive.  Apparently, I accidently did not.  Almost all of my school documents (powerpoints, notes pages, tests, quizzes, labs—for five different courses)  are still on my computer, due to no “fault” of my own. 
Can I get a “Halleluiah”?

Years ago Joel and I had an incident (while we were scuba diving) that ended well, but could have ended very badly.  I looked at him and signed (because we were underwater) “Jesus loves you”—because if it had turned out the way we had expected, I would have tried to wanted to kill him.  We now irreverently use this phrase when something could have gone very, very wrong and, miraculously, didn’t.  And, so, I end today’s post with:

“Jesus loves me, this I know, for….
I found real cheddar cheese on Sunday and, even though our house was broken into, my laptop was left and still contained almost every document I need to do my job for the entire year…..
And, the bible tells me so.”

PS—the very next day this was Piper’s devotional, “Justice will be done”.


No comments:

Post a Comment