Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Thoughts from the Retreat

Thoughts from the Retreat

Living life on the mission field is hard sometimes. Sometimes physically (no electricity or running water); sometimes emotionally (there are so many needs, yet how do I meet them “all”); and sometimes spiritually, (“how do I keep going when I am so dry Lord?”).   Yet every once in a while, we are renewed through all 3 “parts of us” in only a few short days. Please let me share what I learned at the Samaritan’s Purse-Uganda retreat this past week.
     We had many speakers, of which I will only focus on a few.

Here are a few memorable quotes:
1.     “Sin makes you and I hide from God”
2.     “Quite looking for Heaven on Earth and rest in Him”
3.     “Worldview built on anything else than spreading the Gospel will fail”   This is built on the concept that OxFam, Heifer International, and many other NGOs do the same things, livestock projects, food aid, etc; yet  it is our Biblical worldview in “sharing the Gospel as we go” that sets Samaritan’s Purse (World Medical Mission also from, say, Doctor’s Without Borders) apart

      From Desmond Tuto (a contemporary of Nelson Mandela, also jailed for many years) in his book: No Future without Forgiveness, he says “how do we respond to those who have hurt us?” Is it “harder to forgive or harder to ask for forgiveness” “all need to be healed from our hearts through forgiveness”.
     We can respond from hurt with: a.) attack- eye for an eye b.) escape “avoid”
c. ) displace- drugs, alcohol, etc. or, d.) forgiveness- “I give up my right to hurt you for hurting me” (WOW) (like Joseph did in Gen 50:15-21).
“You know that you have forgiven them when you recall the event and wish them well because you don’t hurt anymore”. Forgiveness leads to “decrease stress and increased well being”.

         From Pastor Robert:   “Memorize but not utilize”     We know scripture, but do we live it?
Here are a few funny examples that show this concept:
Boss- “I need that report by tomorrow.”  Employee- “I memorized your message in 3 languages”  Boss- “That’s fine, but you didn’t do report.

Another- Boyfriend- “Will you marry me?”   Girlfriend- “I can say ‘will you marry me?’ in 4 languages”, Boyfriend-  “but what is the answer?” 

This is so simple, yet so powerful! Let us take more time to allow Scripture to penetrate our lives rather than just memorizing another verse!

     Ben Porter is an amazing guy who has worked in the north of Uganda now for 9 years.  He’s a trained trauma psychologists who works with children and young adults who suffered and are still suffering from the time of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) here in Uganda. He says “ smaller accomplishments would not happen either if we were not here” He explains, we start with thick soup, and by the time we are done it is so watered down we feel that “nothing has been accomplished” yet watered down soup is still better than plain water.  We think I have to accomplish X amount or my time here was a failure, yet Jesus only disciple 12, and even that was in a very limited geographical area.  I’m learning to touch those the Lord brings and quit whining about always helping “more”.

    Also in his stress talk was the concept that  “some stress improves productivity, but with too much  stress productivity actually decreases.” “Hurry and impatience are the work of amateurs.  Take time to slow down and do good work.” “Gratitude decreases stress by 25%”, (WOW!!!)  “If you’re burned out, you are doing more harm than good” He used an example of us as a tow truck in our respective countries and projects.  If the tow truck breaks down, then what?  We really have to take care of ourselves also!

Questions to consider:
1.     What gives me strength is:
2.     What relaxes me is:
3.     I take care of my body by:
4.     I felt happy when:
5.      What I most enjoy about working is:
6.     I switch off work by:
7.     I start to get stressed when:  (for me when I don’t see impact, but what defines impact??)
8.     The last time I was stressed was:
9.     The stress warning signs for me are:
10. I manage my stress by:

Psalms 39:6 We are merely moving shadows and all our busy rushing ends in NOTHING


        Lastly-“ Responsiveness.  We care about being PROACTIVE in responding with compassion to physical and spiritual needs.” We cannot do this if we are burned out. Burned out, is treating people with the attitude of hurry.  “Come on next patient.  Wow I have a lot to see today”. This attitude is the antithesis of an approach that involves, “How can I help the one in front of me now?”  or just living in the moment, directed by the Holy Spirit to show HIS love.

So in summary, this 3 day retreat (as I have tried to share above)  was a wonderful time to refocus, to reenergize, and to realign with what the Lord has for us in now our 2nd year in Uganda.

Praise:
1.     That Kent and Amber Brantley and their family are reunited and healthy!!
2.     The school year has started off very well for Kristy and the kids
3.     Heart Camp was wonderful!!  Healthy, happy kids learning to love Jesus
4.     A wonderful retreat- a time to deepen friendships, and to make attainable goals for this coming year

Prayer Request:
1.     For others in the Post Residency Program as they come to the end of their 2 years and seek what is next, as well as prayers for those that are beginning soon for wisdom, guidance and direction

2.     Guidance for Children’s Heart Project to finish the year strong and as we prepare for 2015

1 comment: