Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Wow what a year!!

As I sit here waiting for midnight to come, all week I have been thinking back about what a year 2013 has been for me and us. I still remember the wonderful times in the UVA PICU, the Turkey from last Thanksgiving, and all of the wonderful people that I worked with till the end of June. July was full of moonlighting, working 19 out of 21 nights, praising the Lord for all of the things that my colleagues had taught me and trying my best to put them to good use all while missing my family and trying to sleep during the daytime. Then orientation, meeting so many people with the same heart's desire to serve the Father through Medical Missions, (who are now spread all over the world celebrating New Years at different times) what a blessed time that was! Then, off we go. August was a blur getting the house set up, kids starting school, Kristy back into teaching. September was for the first time ever getting to walk the kids to school and pick them up, help with homework, coach some soccer, all while waiting for paperwork to go through at the hospital, and learning the system of Children's Heart Project (CHP). October made up for all of it, not seeing the kids for 2 weeks straight while a team was in town, being stretched to the limits physically, mentally, and emotionally as 2 kids died when I had to rest, as I was delirious in the tiredness.  November though made up for it. Almost all of the children left the hospital with happy hearts, repaired hearts, and having personally shared the love of the Lord with them and their families I was rejuvenated. I got to see my children dress up as an "umpa-lumpa" and as an elephant at their school show, and rejoice that they are able to be part of such a unique school! Their imaginations are precious and beautiful. We were able to view an almost complete solar eclipse. The natural beauty here always draws me back to the Father, and His gift of life all around us. And then December, what a December. (Pictures to follow) I was involved in my first Ugandan wreck. I was traveling to Entebbe (about an hour away) going to a grand opening of a new wing at a local Rehab hospital, when I passed it, and when I went to turn around, 2 cars back, the guy was late for work, thought why is this guy slowing down, and came out to pass, and bam! But even then the Lord was looking out for me, as he hit exactly on the car, where I was not injured at all (one foot closer and I would have been in the rehab hospital with a broken leg at least), and the car was still drivable. He (very rare here without car insurance) from the beginning said it was his fault and offered to pay for all repairs, (which he did), he is Ugandan, but has worked for the UN in London. So after 3 hours in the police station, and 2 days at the repair shop, car came out almost as good as new. Was able to see the most precious children's Christmas play ever, with Caleb as a wise man, and Kianna as an angel. All of our favorite Christmas carols had been redone, and it was hilarious!  Then I went to a traditional Ugandan wedding called an introduction. (again pics to follow) Was supposed to start at 2pm, started at 4 pm (traffic), and got home at 1am, but wow what a neat experience. Went to the local zoo with the kids for Samaritans Purse Uganda's Christmas party, all while at the hospital, had a part in canceling one surgery of a child who would have died from airway compromise post-op, participated in an ASD repair (bypass surgery) with all Ugandan staff, wow(!!), oh and saved another child who had severe post-op stridor after a PDA repair. Really feel like I am finally contributing, and making a difference. AND 6 CHP kids went, had surgery, and came back safely all in the last quarter of the year, with another leaving Jan 3rd. Then had a very different experience acting as a transporter for a child flying to Germany for heart surgery. Just when I thought that December would wind down and have some time at home with the family for the holidays, on Friday afternoon received a call that I was needed to transport a child to Germany the following Wed. Then 3 days later on Monday, they said oh you need to come tonight, just as I was coming down with the stomach bug that Kristy and Kianna had just recovered from. So at 5am on Wed, with all I could keep down for the last 24hours were 4 bananas, we boarded a flight to Istanbul, then to Leipzig, Germany. Josephat is only 11 months, but his TET spells were so bad, he was on Valium. Thankfully he was up all night, so he slept 4 out of 6 hours to Istanbul, and looked out the window and played the other 2. Had some episode on the ground in Istanbul, and then slept the other two hours to Leipzig. Amen!  As he was blue on the flight with the altitude change. Got to the hospital and went straight to the ICU for a severe TET spell. Had a successful surgery on Friday, talk about German efficiency, self extubated on Sat (happens everywhere), and then I flew out on Sunday. But not before on Saturday afternoon, learning that Leipzig is where the peaceful demonstrations started that brought down the Berlin wall, and going to St Nicholas church for a Bach concerto, where not only did Bach play there, but also Luther started the Reformation there in that very church. Then spent 24 hours in Istanbul seeing the old Constantinople wall, a Sultan Palace that in total is twice as big as the Vatican, 2 beautiful, huge Mosques, and learning all about Turkish rugs, beautiful historical city. Also seeing the trip through the mom's eyes as she is from a very rural area in Uganda, but yet being able to minister in practical ways, buying her slippers and socks for weather in the 30s F, when she showed up in flip-flops, but also helping her keep her eyes pointed to the Saviour, as despite lacking all normalcy of home, she was there to help her son get the surgery that he needed, and that she did. Flew back in at 4am on Christmas Eve, took a short nap, then went to the pool to soak up the heat! (wow Germany and Turkey were cold comparatively). Spent Christmas with friends, and now am waiting on New Years!!! From Virginia, to Uganda, to Germany, Turkey, etc. God has guided everything and now after 12 long years of waiting we are finally doing what He has called us to, and getting to see the fruit, wow what a Saviour!!
  Do please pray for us in 2014, as we seek direction on staying long term and making that work, and for my Peds ICU boards in Nov of 2014, 2 huge milestones. THANK YOU ALL to those who pray and support us to have the privilege of being the Lord's Hands and Feet to the hurting, and showing and leading them to the only REAL healing and that is through Him.
   A special shout out to the Ehrman's as they have completed NICU fellowship this month and are moving to Richmond, another end to a LONG journey. And to my granny who will be 100 on January 31, we love and miss you all.
   May God be glorified even more in 2014 than He was on 2013, and may He bless you all, as daily we seek to be more like HIM. It is 11:33 now, almost made it, God Bless and Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment