On Saturday April 28th I went into the hospital to be induced due to my consistantly high blood pressure and the fact he was overdue by 4 days. After midnight my water broke and shortly after, my blood pressure spiked and Caleb began to be distressed. He was born by c-section at 6:42am on Sunday April 29th weighing 6 pounds 12.5 ounces and measuring 18 inches. We were discharged from the hospital Tuesday evening and on Wednesday evening my mom arrived. Everything seemed to be going well.
On Friday afternoon, however, he had diarrhea and stopped crying. I called Joel and by the time he got home Caleb was pretty unresponsive. We took him to the hospital and were admitted Friday night. We found out he had lost a pound. Babies normally lose some weight after birth, but he was incredibly dehydrated. They put him on an IV, gave him antibiotics and did a blood work-up. We were in the hospital until Monday afternoon with continued IV and antibiotics. When we left he was up to 6 pounds 7 ounces. Apparently the problem was that he might have gotten a virus, which was worsened by the fact he wasn't getting much fluids, even though he seemed to be feeding well, due to a problem in the way he was feeding
Yesterday we took him to his first check-up and he was up to 6 pounds 9 ounces which the pediatrician said was a good weight regardless of our weekend episode. We're currently breastfeeding then pumping and supplementing breastmilk after each feeding to make sure he's getting enough.
Now we're trying to get into a routine and are very happy to be at home. Joel has 2 weeks left of his surgery rotation until he's DONE with med school! :) We are very excited about that. Mom will be with us until Monday and Joel's mom will be getting in Saturday to be with us for a week.
So- we hope you will forgive us for being a little uncommunicative the last few days, but hope these pictures of our adorable boy will make up for it :) The quote of the week was from Joel- "As a pediatrician, I'll hold lots of babies, but I'll kiss only one." So there's a picture of him kissing Caleb as he said it
Sleeping like Mommy right after he was born
In his monkey outfit from Grandma
Oh!! He's so beautiful!!! He looks like Kristy to me. I just want to kiss his little cheeks. I can't believe how adorable he is. Congrats and feel better!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful family!! Sure wish I could be there to help out and spoil Caleb just a little bit!! Congratulations and take care!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, Joel and Kristy!
ReplyDelete