Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Track Meet

This past week we had an all day Secondary School Track Meet.  For the first time, our school brought everyone.  Every 6th-12th grader was present and competing (along with all the teachers who teach only 6th-12th graders).

For some, (students and teachers alike) it was their first meet.  For me, it was my 9 thousandth.  Or something close.  I had 8 seasons of track in high school- 4 indoor and 4 outdoor.  My last meet was my senior year.  Memories of that meet-- when we wore green ribbons and won the State 1A Title-- came back to me-- as well as so many more.  I have no idea how many Saturdays I've spent-- waiting for my event- so nervous.  Instead it was me as the "coach", encouraging kids, cheering them on-- coaching from the sidelines-- ("Keep you pace!"  "Run your race!"  "Short jog before the handoff!"  "Catch that kid in yellow!" )  Its all words I've yelled over and over though the years, but this time not as a teammate.  It didn't feel that different though-- sitting around all day cheering without any events instead of sitting around all day cheering and waiting for 1 or 2 events.

I'm used to having teammates who are high jump or long jump specialists (as in, that's all they compete in).  For this meet, lots of kids completed these for the first time.  Not competed, but completed.  As in their first jump ever.  Track here, you see, is not really a seasonal sport, but is only this one day.  The kids went out and tried their best.  We took 3rd, but it certainly was not for lack of effort or school spirit.  I have to say everything went super organized on the part of those hosting and our staff-- as well as how our kids-- who did everything they were supposed to do and were (basically) where they were supposed to be.

For me, the highlight was seeing the finish line surrounded by a sea of blue and the 13 and under girls 4x100 meter relay won their event.  We won lots of events but there were 28 Heritage kids at the finish line who either just finished their relay or were about to compete.  And they were all jumping up and down.  For middle schoolers.  It was school spirit at its best and I was proud to be apart of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment